exhibition itinerary

Section

10. The Alberto Della Ragione collection

A fearless patron of the arts and refined collector, naval engineer Alberto Della Ragione began to dedicate himself to art at the end of the ‘20s when he purchased his first 19th century works. His disturbing encounter with the art of his time was sealed by his visit to the Quadriennale romana in 1931, when he decided to acquire 20th century art works. From then on his collection continued to grow, aiming above all at young experimenters neglected by the market and by the Regime’s official critics. Considered as one of the largest collections of contemporary Italian art, in 1970 it was donated to the Municipality of Florence.